Sunday, August 12, 2012

Butterflies


I went back to Cylburn Arboretum today to see if I could see it with fresh eyes--not just last week's sea of green.  In one of the garden beds small white butterflies danced, alighted, and fluttered through these purply-blue flowers.  This little orange creature paused long enough for me to capture the moment.


Every butterfly was out in full force today making the most of each sweet flower.  These brown butterflies with yellowy-orange spots were having a wonderful time drinking the nectar from the pink flowers at the edge of the woods.



Perhaps the most magnificent were these butterflies, which I think are Eastern Swallowtail Butterflies, that were attracted to a large hydrangea.  Their wings were fully open when resting on a flower, then would close as they drank, only to open as they flew to the next blossom.  They must be migrating through Baltimore.


I came home with so many wonderful photographs and my mind is brimming with ideas for watercolors, but first I want to share these moments of loveliness.



No comments:

Post a Comment