Monday, August 6, 2012

Fleeting Moments



Yesterday I took a little time to sit on my deck and enjoy breakfast before a day spent getting through a long to-do list.  It was hot and humid--true Baltimore weather.  The cicadas had set up a racket that was only rivaled by the hum of air conditioners.  Off in the dense foliage of the trees a woodpecker hopped from branch to branch--sometimes pecking away at the main tree trucks, sometimes tapping at a branch while hanging upside down.  Closer at hand the most beautiful spiderweb hung suspended in the air anchored by thin threads to the patio umbrella above and the deck railing and window box to the sides.  It glistened in the sun. The web finished, the spider scurried to the center.

I went inside to grab my pen and sketchbook so I could draw this amazing creation.  When I returned the spider and web were gone!  Only one gossamer thread remained to show they had ever been here.  I did this sketch from memory, drawing each line with patience.  As I drew, I marveled at the spider's tenacity to  connect each thread with care and weave such an intricate design.

No comments:

Post a Comment