Monday, July 28, 2014

Grand Canyon Waterfall


In early June I went on a white water rafting trip down 188 miles of the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon.  What an adventure!  The white water rafting was a blast and the scenery spectacular.  We hiked to some absolutely beautiful waterfalls including this one.

Something about the immense size of the canyon walls demanded that I paint much larger than I usually do.  This is a full sheet of watercolor paper, 22 x 30".  I painted it standing up at an easel using 1 1/2" brushes.  Although I am usually much more comfortable painting small, there is something amazingly liberating about painting on a larger scale; one has to let go of all the details and stop fussing.  This is a new venture for me and one I want to follow.  Stay tuned to see what comes next!


No comments:

Post a Comment